Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Origin of Chortle

IT IS A WORD!

I decided to take some initiative, which is odd for me, and look up the word "chortle" or dictionary.com. To my great joy, I discovered that it is in fact a word. Actually it's a combination of two words: "chuckle" and "snort".

The official definition is "a snorting, joyful laugh or chuckle".

Apparently it was "invented" by Lewis Carrol and used for the first time in his 1872 classic, "Through the Looking Glass". Go figure.

Anyway, this got me thinking...we could invent some of our own words by simply "blending" them together. So let's make a list:

- canonball = canon + ball.
- icecream = ice + cream.

Wait a second...I suck at this.

Rainman

3 Comments:

Blogger Nata said...

There you go. THAT was kind of funny.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Warrior said...

not really==notreally

that funny==thatfunny

1:29 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

this post made me smile and surpress a chortle.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home