Friday, January 13, 2006

Holiness, Shmoliness...

Okay, as a diclaimer I should mention that I am VERY tired right now...so this may not make sense. It also may explain my current frustration...

It bothers me that people in my Doctrine of Holiness class aren't willing to hear out Dr. Gavel with open minds. Whether you agree with the doctrine or not initially, I still feel you should hear his views on it and then make an informed decision. Maybe even after hearing what he has to say you may still feel just as strongly that it is impossible to achieve holiness in this life...but I think we all owe it to ourselves to approach something like this without our biases getting in the way.

Afterall...agree or disagree, God has said "Be holy, because I am holy." If you disagree with the doctrine of holiness, then you need to find some way to explain way God commands us to be holy. Seems like a jerkish thing to do if it isn't possible.

Anyway...that's not as humourous as usual, I know, but then again there is a time to laugh and a time to cry...right now feels like a time to sleep...

Rainman

4 Comments:

Blogger Billings said...

Wow Paul,

All I have to say is that I am impressed with continuation of your blogging! Keep it up!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

i totally agree paul. plus, it's just plain rude. who wants to be rude to Good ol' Dr. Gavel? Not I.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gavel is still there! Nice...

I like to deny the Bible... j/k. That was really a sarcastic critism of "Bible-believers".

I don't believe in "the doctrine of holiness", not because we can't attain it in this life, but because it says that we can attain it. It is not something attained (with the implication that we worked for it) though, I think we should try, it is attained by grace at conversion. That's what conversion is... conversion sinner becomes saint- Jesus takes away our sin nature(Romans 6-8). A heart change and spirit change...
1 John says so.

The disclaimer... IF we sin, Jesus will forgive provided we repent.
Anyone who continues to sin is crucifying Jesus again (that's in Hebrews right?).
This is not to say that I've attained 'perfection' but everyone should have my attitude, that I keep pressing on to take hold of the resurrection of Christ.

Those who deny 'the doctrine of holiness' have to look at why they are denying it
1) It's not biblical (try and prove that it's not, I tried and failed) or
2)The teaching convicts them but they are comfortable in sin

and hey let's throw in

3) They have given their 100% to God and He's not faithful in His promise that we can 'stand-up' under any temptation.

We have the mind of Christ, the Spirit of Christ, the heart of Christ and the strength of Christ. If that isn't enough to be perfect then I guess Satan won...

10:57 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

i also support you Paul, for the same reasons as Jo.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home